I love the possibilities that a new year represents. It’s a time to dream of the way you’d like your life to look at the end of the year, then try to figure out how to get there.
If you’re at all interested in spending more time outside in nature with your kiddos, I’m hoping the “31 Days of Backyard Nature Fun” can help you do just that.
Although this series originally ran at the beginning of 2013, you can begin your 31 days of backyard nature fun anytime.
Each day features a simple, fun way to get outside exploring nature with kids. Activities are designed to be doable in 15 minutes or less in your own backyard, neighborhood or at a local park.
I’ve stored up a lot of ideas over the years that I’ll be highlighting during the month, but I’ve also enlisted the help of some of my favorite bloggers. There are ideas for things to do in all kinds of weather (even snow!), so I hope there’s something for everyone.
If you don’t already do so, now’s the time to subscribe to the posts I write either in an online reader or via email. That way, you won’t miss a thing!
Here’s the complete list of “31 Days of Backyard Nature Fun” activities at a glance:
- Day 1: Watch a sunset
- Day 2: Start a family adventure journal
- Day 3: Dig in the dirt
- Day 4: Hunt for heart reflectors
- Day 5: Make a pinecone birdfeeder
- Day 6: Make nature wands
- Day 7: Walk to school
- Day 8: Go on a backyard bug hunt
- Day 9: Create ice art
- Day 10: Climb a tree
- Day 11: Keep a moon diary
- Day 12: Go on a micro safari
- Day 13: Make wind streamers
- Day 14: Explore a tree
- Day 15: Take a color walk
- Day 16: Go stargazing
- Day 17: Make a recycled nature rattle
- Day 18: Stack rocks
- Day 19: Go on a nature photo hunt
- Day 20: Find north with a stick
- Day 21: Watch backyard birds
- Day 22: Have a cloud race
- Day 23: Paint snow angels
- Day 24: Take a winter nature walk
- Day 25: Build a stick tower
- Day 26: Try backyard snowshoeing
- Day 27: Go on a nature art walk
- Day 28: Design your own chalk garden
- Day 29: Play the listening game
- Day 30: Go icicle hunting
- Day 31: Start a rock collection
- 50 Ways to Explore Nature in Your Own Backyard
- 32 Ideas for Spring Backyard Nature Fun
- Your A-to-Z Guide to Summer Backyard Nature Fun
- Your Fall Guide to Exploring Nature
- Best of Backyard Nature Fun in 2012