Our use of sunscreen around here isn’t limited to summer. And believe it or not, we still haven’t discovered the “perfect” product. Some take too long to apply; others sting our eyes. You get the picture.
What we tested: During our road trip last month, we tested two products from the KINeSYS Spray-on Suncare collection:
- Kids SPF 30 Alcohol-Free Sunscreen Spray, fragrance-free (1 oz. size is $6.99 / 4 oz. size is $18.99)
- SPF 30 Sunscreen Spray, mango scented (1 oz. size is $6.99 / 4 oz. size is $18.99)
The KINeSYS Spray-on Suncare product line also includes:
- SPF 30 Girl Sunscreen Spray, vanilla green tea scented (1 oz. size is $6.99 / 4 oz. size is $18.99)
- SPF 30 A fragrance-free spray (1 oz. size is $6.99 / 4 oz. size is $18.99)
- SPF 15 spray, mango-scented (1 oz. size is $6.99 / 4 oz. size is $18.99)
- SPF 30 Sun Protection Stick ($12)
- SPF 30 Zinc Ointment ($29.99)
All products provide broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and are very water- and sweat-resistant, making them well suited for outdoor lifestyles.
The microspray application is unique to this product line and might take a few tries to get used to.
- We loved the texture – it doesn’t feel like your typical heavy or creamy sunscreen when applied & doesn’t leave you covered in white paste
- It’s fun & feels like a puff of air when applied
- It dries super quick & isn’t messy
- The non-aerosol sprayer is environmentally friendly
- The mango scent was a favorite with me
- I found it a little tough to tell how well I was providing coverage on the face since I couldn’t actually see or feel the product on my hand (where I sprayed it before applying to The Explorers’ faces)
I’m not gonna lie to you: Prior to sampling Avon’s Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard collection, we relied on DEET-based insect repellants for the few times we found ourselves in mosquito country. Out of fear mostly. Fear that the alternative – using products that don’t contain DEET and don’t work – was too risky. Good news is, I’m a convert.
What we tested: During our trip to Yosemite in July and then on our camping-filled road trip last month, we tested two products from the Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard collection:
- Bug Guard Plus Picardin Aerosol Spray/$16 (which we used for the body)
- Bug Guard Plus Picardin Towlettes/$14 for an 8-pack (for the face & neck)
Avon’s Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard collection also includes bug sprays combined with sunscreen, but we prefer to keep the two separate so we didn’t test these. Here’s a complete list of the Bug Guard products (excluding those we tested):
- Anti-itch Spray ($10)
- Bug Guard Plus IR3535® ExpeditionTM SPF 30, which includes an Aerosol spray ($16), Pump spray ($14), Gentle Breeze Lotion ($14) & the Cool ’n Fabulous Disappearing Color Lotion ($14)
- Bug Guard Plus Picardin Pump Spray ($14)
I made sure to follow all label directions and precautions and applied all products myself (no kid applying allowed).
Earlier this summer when I asked Facebook fans for their favorite insect repellant, the Skin-So-Soft line came highly recommended. Here’s what we thought:
- The products work! (So well, in fact, that we weren’t able to test the anti-itch spray pictured above.)
- Both the aerosol spray & towlettes were easy to apply
- The Explorers especially appreciated that the products didn't make them gag after application (as DEET-based products usually do)
- I wish the Picardin products included a lotion alternative
Note: We received a complete set of Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard products and the two KINeSYS Spray-on Suncare products we tested in exchange for providing my honest review with you. Read my full disclosure policy for more information.