With school back in session, we’re keeping it simple with a trip to one of our favorite neighborhood parks, Glen Alla Park.
To try this adventure outside of the Los Angeles area … go explore a favorite (or perhaps a new-to-you) neighborhood park.
Glen Alla Park is our new favorite neighborhood park – in spite of that fact that it’s a 15-minute drive from our house.
The draw is two-fold. First, the kids enjoy some of the more non-traditional park features, like this rock structure that includes a sloped side just begging to be slid down. (You know The Little Explorer goes done head first, right?)
The ginormous sand play area – with a whale holding center court – is also quite a hit.
The big draw for me is that it’s an enclosed park where I can safely keep an eye on both explorers at once. A rarity in these parts.
For the younger crowd, there are dinosaurs to bury in the sand, bumpy slides to ride down and a cool rock counter to touch.
It’s not uncommon for us to see older kids playing a game of pirate treasure hunt, climbing the huge tree in the middle of the park, picking up pine needles along the edges, and riding scooters around the perimeter.
This place seems to inspire kids of all ages to put their imagination to work. And more importantly, to enjoy some time outside.
5 Ways to Connect With Nature at Glen Alla Park
- Climb a tree.
- Build tunnels in the sand.
- Slide down a hill.
- Chase birds.
- Pack a picnic.
- This is a great enclosed park ideal for young kids or for parents watching multiple kids solo
- The non-playground part of the park features plenty of grass for running, kite flying and Frisbee throwing; there are also some basketball courts
- Playground features include a huge sand area, a faux rock structure designed for little climbers, swings, a large play structure with multiple slides & the perfect climbing tree
- Can get very crowded on weekends & weekday mornings
- A few picnic tables are available outside the playground, but we prefer to picnic on a blanket on a grassy spot within the playground gates
- No dogs allowed within the playground area
- Restrooms are conveniently located adjacent to playground
- Free street parking available
Glen Alla Park is located at:
4601 Alla Road
Los Angeles, CA 90292