Today’s post is part of “Your Green Hour Survival Guide,” a series which I hope will provide you with inspiration to make getting outside every day a habit.
The big explorer and I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon outside with friends yesterday. Not only was it fun to discover a new place, but it was also a nice break from our usual routine spending time outside on our own.
I used to think it was too tough to incorporate friends’ schedules into our daily green hour. But not anymore.
Here are a few simple ways to include friends in your everyday outdoor fun:
- Schedule a weekly play date at your favorite park.
- Host a picnic dinner on your front lawn and invite friends.
- Take routine play dates outside. Encourage mud pie making, tree climbing and water play when possible!
- Arrange a weekend (or weekday) outing in nature with friends.
- Take celebrations outside. We visited my dad’s grave to mark his birthday, where we ate cake, drew pictures and ran around the beautiful grounds; we also blew bubbles outside before the little explorer’s birthday dinner.
- Spend time in a school garden or community garden with friends – or invite people to spend time in your garden.
- Start a family nature club – or find one near you!
- Plan a getaway adventure in nature with friends. We spend time every summer in Yosemite with dear family friends. The experience wouldn't be the same without them.
What’s your favorite way to spend time outside with friends?