Fun Friday activities are quick-and-simple ways to explore nature in your own backyard.
Bike riding isn’t just a simple way to get some exercise and spend time together as a family outside; it also allows you to explore nature in your own neighborhood and beyond.
We recently enjoyed a late afternoon ride along the Los Angeles River, which although not a particularly nature-filled setting, is home to all kinds of birds. This is what urban nature in Los Angeles looks like.
We took plenty of breaks during our 45-minute excursion to see if we could identify some of the avian visitors. We spotted mallard ducks, seagulls, pigeons and others we couldn’t identify without our binoculars and bird guide.
We also caught one of those amazing SoCal sunsets near the beach that I so adore.
- Practice the safety basics. Wear a helmet and warm clothing. Make sure your bikes are in good condition before heading out.
- Choose a kid-friendly ride. Look for relatively flat stretches that won’t tire little legs. And keep your ride short to ensure success.
More Ideas for Winter Outdoor Fun
We’ve got a few fun backyard nature adventures planned for this weekend and I hope you do, too. Sometimes it helps to make an appointment to head outside – especially if your weekends seem to fill up fast. Need a few ideas for nature fun this weekend?
- Go on a winter bird walk. Look for nests, too.
- Search for animal tracks in the snow – or make your own.
- Make a snow fort.
- Or try one of these 50 ways to explore nature in your own backyard.