Fun Friday activities are quick-and-simple ways to explore nature in your own backyard.
Tonight Santa and his reindeer will be coming to our house for a visit. While we’ll be setting out our usual treats (milk and cookies for Santa, carrots and water for the reindeer), we’re featuring something new, too. Magic reindeer food.
The recipe is a simple one involving just a few ingredients: oatmeal, sugar and colored sugar crystals. Mix together and voila – something magical that’s just right for sprinkling on your lawn come Christmas Eve.
I’m hoping some of the neighborhood animals will enjoy a little of the special treat, too!
- Get the kids involved in the prep work. The big explorer loves helping out in the kitchen and making something just for Santa’s reindeer was too exciting to pass up.
- Share some magic with friends. We made enough to share some of our mix with friends – a nice alternative to cookies and candy.
More Ideas for Outdoor Fun
Here’s to a wonderful holiday weekend! Amid whatever form your festivities might take in the days ahead, I hope you’ll make time to head outside for a quiet respite from the excitement of the season.
Here are just a few ways you and your family can connect with nature right here in Los Angeles this weekend:
- Come learn about nature’s gifts with The Children’s Nature Institute on Sun., Dec. 26 (we are!). The family nature walk at Franklin Canyon starts at 10 a.m. There’s still time to sign up!
- Go on a family bird walk at Malibu Lagoon. The one-hour event kicks off at 10 a.m. on Sun., Dec. 26. Meet at the first footbridge.
- Enjoy a snow day at Kidspace Museum in Pasadena. Build a snowman, make snow angels and more – there will be 30 tons of fresh snow to play in!
- Hunt for treasures at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County. You and your family will solve puzzles, answer riddles and find clues on a self-guided scavenger hunt. Runs Dec. 26 through Jan. 2.