About the PackIt Cooler:
The PackIt Cooler isn’t your ordinary picnic bag. For starters, it must be frozen before use. Yep, that’s right – you place the entire bag (which folds flat) into the freezer to cool for at least 12 hours (say, overnight) before packing it with food and/or drinks. No ice packs needed, because the bag comes with its own gel-lined walls that do the trick.
Here are a few more specifics from the manufacturer:
- Made from food-safe, nontoxic poly canvas and waterproof EVA
- PVC-, BPA-, phthalate- and lead-free
- Gel-lined walls chill food and drinks for up to 10 hours
- Folds flat for freezing & storage
- Zip-top closure keeps cold air in
- Shoulder strap makes it easy to carry
- Interior wipes clean; spot clean exterior
- Dimensions: 12” x 13” x 5” (12” x 5” x 2.5” folded) – room enough for food & drinks for four or a six-pack
- Retails for $29.99
What we like:
- It keeps food & drinks cold. The manufacturer says it keeps things cool for up to 10 hours depending on exterior temps. No argument here – our stuff definitely stays cold.
- It’s easy to carry & looks good. Even packed with food and drinks for the kids and I, the bag was comfortable. I’m usually also wearing a backpack purse (or just a backpack) and the PackIt Social Cooler can easily be carried, too. I also like that there are a lot of fun patterns to choose from.
- It only works if you remember to cool it ahead of time – and have the room in your freezer to do so. Which means it works best for pre-planned events, not the spur-of-the-moment kind. Also, best for folks with at least a little extra room in the freezer.
- We noticed some sweating from the gel packs, meaning we wound up with some wet stuff in the bag.
Note: We received a PackIt Social Cooler to field test in exchange for providing my honest review with you. Read my full disclosure policy for more information.